Sometimes it takes a third-grader to make it all clear...

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

This one is more of a visual thing...

We read a book called The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane at the beginning of the year.  (If you haven't read it, do so right away.  It is wonderful!)  There is a character in it who make a spine-chilling statement--"You disappoint me"--in a low, menacing voice.  We all loved this part and took great delight in imagining how that would make us feel.

Fast forward a couple of months and I had to use my teacher voice with a student because he would not settle down.  When I looked at him again after he had finally begun to work, he made deliberate eye contact with me and very slowly mouthed the words

--YOU DISAPPOINT ME--

I looked at him in what I can only assume was a horrified way. Then he smiled, crinkled his nose, and returned to his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment